6 slices bacon
24 spears fresh asparagus, trimmed
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
12 slices white bread, crusts removed
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Grease a baking sheet.
3. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally until evenly browned (about 10 minutes).
4. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. When the bacon is cool, crumble and set aside in a bowl.
6. Place asparagus spears into a large skillet and pour in about 1 inch of water. Place over medium heat, cover the skillet, and simmer asparagus until bright green and slightly tender (about 5 minutes). Remove asparagus and set aside.
7. Place cream cheese and chives into the bowl with bacon and stir to evenly combine.
8. Roll each bread slice with a rolling pin on a work surface until the slices are thin and flat. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over each slice of bread.
9. Center two asparagus spears on a bread slice and roll the slice around the asparagus into a tidy and compact cylinder. Place seam side down onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
10. Brush each roll with melted butter and sprinkle each with about 1 1/2 teaspoon Parmesan cheese.
11. Bake in the preheated oven until lightly golden brown and hot for 10 to 12 minutes.
—Recipe courtesy of Mary Alice Rulleman, Memphis
1 box cake mix (strawberry and devil’s food work well)
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup margarine
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Mix together all ingredients except powdered sugar.
3. Drop mixture by spoonful into powdered sugar and roll into small ball.
4. Bake 8-10 minutes on greased cookie sheet.
—Recipe courtesy of Lacey Dunlap, Hernando
Karo pecan candy
3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups white Karo
1 1/2 cups milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans
1/4 stick butter, softened
heavy pot for cooking (a pressure cooker pot is recommended)
2 plates to grease with butter
1. Cook sugar, Karo and milk for 45 minutes to 1 hour over medium heat or until it forms a ball in ice cold water. Stir constantly.
2. Add vanilla and pecans, and then beat with mixer on high for 1 to 3 minutes.
3. Pour on buttered plates, add butter to top and let cool. Tip: If it does not set properly, you can return it to pot and cook it a little longer, beating constantly. Be cautious to not overcook.
—Recipe courtesy of Dana Hall, Southaven